Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nothing like the first day of school...


I start the school year with a renewed interest in blogging. I will attempt to post something once a week.

As a child I remember very clearly the night before the first day of school. There wasn't a lot of sleep happening those evenings. Thoughts would run through my head about all of the exciting things I was going to be doing over the next year. Having a vivid imagination, I would concoct elaborate scenarios about my new teachers, new and old classmates, and the overall blast I was going to have with the routine of being a student again.

Now as the person who leads the charge, I still get that incredible jolt on the first of August when I think about our students coming back to fill the classrooms in not such a long time. The first day of school brings fresh new clothes and supplies, a twinkle in many a students eye, and refreshed and rejuvenated educators ready for another fantastic year of learning.

Most mornings at LGA, I get the opportunity to greet students with a handshake and a Boker Tov (good morning). We look at each other in the eye and get to acknowledge each other in a real way. This past Wednesday morning, our first day of school at LGA, I again walked out and greeted every student. But on that day, I took my time with each student finishing up my duty well beyond the 8:15 start of school, because I wanted to hear every single story that our students had to share with me.

Returning students to LGA are comfortable sharing a quick line and know that it is a unique trait of LGA that I (or another administrator) stand out there no matter what the weather is and focus on them even if just for thirty seconds. New students quickly get into the habit and often by week two no longer need to be cajoled to shake my hand. These kind of one-on-one moments is what make Jewish day schools so special. This personal interaction carries throughout the day for students at LGA because they know that every adult working in the building cares about them on all levels from the top down.

The first days of school signify change in routine. We go from the lazy days of summer back to many planned and plan-full moments. This transition can be hard for everyone. There are new expectations put on us that weren't there when we ended school last year and there are some different routines that we have to get used to. Keeping those thoughts in our mind should help us navigate transitions back to a new school year.

Shanah Tovah u'Metukah. Here's to a sweet and good new year!


4 comments:

  1. That hand shaking thing isn't a Jewish day school thing... It's an OUR Jewish day school thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point was the JDS' have the ability to personalize in ways that other schools don't

    ReplyDelete
  3. This unexpected ritual was wonderful - one of the profound memories you just made for my son and his mother on the first day of kindergarten! Thank you for such an important moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And my point is that I don't know of a single other JDS that does this. Meaning, it is our particular JDS that is extra personal. I don't even currently work there- I'm not being biased. And really, if truth be told, it wasn't even a JDS thing. It was a Sandy thing.

    ReplyDelete