Monday, March 8, 2010

Jews really do live there AKA what's this blog all about?

So here goes...this is my first official blog entry. Don't know how often I am going to do this or how brilliant I will be but I thought that I would give it a shot.

What am I going to be blogging about you may ask? Who is this person?

The short answer to the first question is I am going to be blogging about what Jewish life is like in a relatively small yet growing and vibrant Jewish community and the second answer is a much more complicated one.

Yes, they really do exist. Jewish people live outside of urban centers and create vibrant Jewish life.

I hope that people will forward my entries around to others and see that living in the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts can be a really great place to be Jewishly. Northampton and Amherst and the surrounding communities are like no place in the states. Really, really unique!

There are many aspects of Judaism that shape my being. I love being Jewish and part of this very dynamic global community. My wife, Rebecca and I moved to Northampton (aka Noho) a year and a half ago because I received the wonderful opportunity to become the head of school at Lander~Grinspoon Academy, the Solomon Schechter School of the Pioneer Valley.

I have a hard job! But it is the most rewarding job in the Jewish world (in my opinion). Down to my core, I believe that Jewish day school education is one of the most important paths to Jewish continuity that we as a community have. Jewish day school graduates are articulate communicators of Jewish life and history. I am not saying that every single graduate has a positive attitude about the experience they had but they have a knowledge base that their Jewish peers who didn't go to day school don't have.

Before I came to LGA, I worked for many years as director of the high school of Prozdor Hebrew High School at Hebrew College in Newton, Mass. It was AMAZING for many reasons. I loved every minute of that school and experience. I helped shape a new generation of Jewish leaders and do believe that when supplementary education is done well, it can be unbelievably life-changing.

So, my blog is going to be about my experience of working in a small Jewish community, life in a small Jewish day school, and the charismatic and endearing characters and experiences that I come into contact with on a daily basis. I hope that I will inspire someone else to want to move to the Pioneer Valley and join our community.

Enjoy! Comment! Forward!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I really look forward to reading this! Keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea has much merit, Bill. You've been a leader, Jewishly in other areas and I think it'll be cool to "demystify" the idea that active Jewish life survives better in urban or suburban centers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kol ha Kavod, Bil.

    This Jewish community is really kinda midsized. There are so many much smaller and more isolated Jewish communities that make Noho/Amherst look like the Lower East Side circa 1920. One of my favorite movies for a little perspective i that area is Shalom Y'All, about being Jewish in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Kevin said, having grown up in a much (MUCH) smaller Jewish community!

    ReplyDelete